"We have a large cadre of geriatricians that includes clinicians, clinician educators and researchers who have national and international reputations in their areas of expertise. Fellows receive training and mentorship in a collegial environment that allows them to soar to excellence. I am very proud of the IU Geriatric Medicine Program. We truly have it all!" – Dr. Westmoreland"
Glenda R. Westmoreland, MD, MPH
Director of Education, IU Geriatrics
Dr. Westmoreland completed all her graduate and postgraduate education at Indiana University School of Medicine where she joined the faculty in 1995. She has provided leadership in Geriatrics Education since 1997, was the Fellowship Program Director from 2000-2009 and continues to be involved in the overall direction of geriatrics education for fellows, residents and medical students.
Felipe P. Perez, MD
Fellowship Program Director
Dr. Felipe Perez completed his graduate education at Universidad National Federico Villarreal, in Lima, Peru and his postgraduate education at Loyola University at Chicago. He joined the geriatric medicine faculty in 2009 and has been leading the Geriatric Medicine Fellowship Program as Director since October 2009. He brings to Indiana University six years of experience as the Program Director of University of Illinois-Chicago's geriatric medicine fellowship program.
Adnan Arseven, MD
Fellowship Program Associate Director
Dr. Adnan Arseven completed his graduate education at the University of Istanbul in Turkey and his postgraduate education at Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine in Chicago. He had been the Director of the Geriatric Medicine Fellowship Program at Northwestern between 2006 and 2013. He joined the geriatric medicine faculty in 2013 and has been providing leadership to the Geriatric Medicine Fellowship Program as the Associate Director.
- Indiana University (IU Geriatrics) has been deemed a Hartford Foundation Center of Excellence in Geriatric Medicine since 2004, one of only 25 Centers in the nation
- The IU Geriatrics Fellowship Program is a vibrant program with the capacity to train six fellows per year
- Training occurs within The Department of Medicine, Division of General Internal Medicine & Geriatrics.
Fellows (PDF document)
Clinical Training Details
Fellows' clinical training will occur in three unique hospital settings, where fellows will see patients across the continuum of care.
Didactic-type training occurs during dedicated academic sessions
- Weekly clinical conferences - includes geriatric grand rounds, core lectures, journal clubs & case review.
- Academic Half Day - monthly research conferences, board review, extended care topics
American Medical Director Certification Program (AMDCP), CMD- mentored Track for fellows interested to pursue a career as a Certified Medical Director
Fellows interested in pursuing a career as nursing home medical director could apply for this track. Through IU Geriatric's CMD-mentored fellowship experience, one year of the required 2-years medial director experience may now be completed during the fellowship period. Under this track arrangements will be made for the fellow to hold a position as an Associate Medical Director in a long term care setting for one year during fellowship training, under the supervision of one of our Certified Medical Director faculty members. After completing a second year of post fellowship year of medical directorship, (within five years of completing the fellowship), the fellow will fulfill this component of the CMD requirements.
This track will provide the fellow with a comprehensive medical directorship experience, covering the four key areas: physician leadership, patient care‐clinical leadership, quality of care and elements of CMD.
Research: Geriatrics research opportunities are available for those fellows who are interested
The second and third years of fellowship are available for fellows pursuing an academic career in Geriatric Medicine with focused training in
- Research - 3 year track
- Education - 2 year track
- Administration - 2 year track
- Funding for formal coursework under the CITE program, Academy of Teaching Scholars, and Center for Teaching and Learning.
- Mentorship is provided by nationally and internationally recognized clinicians, clinician- educators and clinician-researchers to ensure success
- Fellows are fully funded to attend the American Geriatrics Society (AGS) Annual Meeting
- Fellows not restricted by their visa status are allowed to moonlight in a variety of settings when approved by the program director
- Fellows receive full medical & dental coverage at no cost to them
- First Year Fellowship: Applicants who are planning to apply for a Geriatrics Fellowship will need to go to ERAS Website to submit an application. For questions regarding the application process via ERAS, please visit the ERAS Fellowship website, or call ERAS at (215) 966-3940
Special note: all clinical fellowship positions are offered through the match only.
- Second Year Advanced Fellowship: Current internal/external fellows who are interested in completing an advanced year fellowship program will need to contact the Fellowship Coordinator, Patty Sloan via e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Special note: all academic or advanced fellowships in teaching, research, and administration, are separate from the match.
- Combined Fellowship: If you are interested in seeking a combined fellowship, please contact our Fellowship Coordinator Patty Sloan.
- Interviewing begins in August for the following academic year and is highly competitive as we often fill early. For questions and concerns regarding application eligibility or application status, please contact our Fellowship Coordinator Patty Sloan.
Academic Year Update: We currently have Geriatric fellowship positions open for the next academic year. Please contact our Fellowship Coordinator, Patty Sloan via e-mail: email@example.com.
Why Indianapolis? (Click on picture to link to Indy info)
Contact for Additional Questions:
IU Geriatrics Fellowship Coordinator, Patty Sloan via e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Program Director, Dr. Perez via e-mail: email@example.com