HIV-related renal diseases
Nephrologic toxicities of antiretrovirals
Effects of HIV and antiretrovirals on vascular function
Education and Training:
Medical School: University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
Residency, Fellowship: Indiana University School of Medicine
- Gupta SK, Mi D, Liu Z, Saha C. Endothelial, inflammatory, coagulation, metabolic effects and safety of etravirine in HIV-uninfected volunteers. AIDS Pt Care STD 2011; in press.
- Kim C, Gupta SK, Green L, Taylor B, Deuter-Reinhard M, Desta Z, Clauss M. Abacavir, didanosine, and tenofovir do not induce inflammatory, apoptotic, or oxidative stress genes in coronary endothelial cells. Antiviral Ther 2011; in press.
- Gupta SK, Owino Ong'or W, Shen C, Musick B, Goldman M, Wools-Kaloustian K. Reduced renal function is associated with progression to AIDS but not with overall mortality in HIV-infected Kenyan adults not initially requiring combination antiretroviral therapy. J Int AIDS Soc 2011; in press.
- Tungsiripat M, Kitch D, Glesby MJ, Gupta SK, Mellors JW, Moran L, Jones L, Alston-Jones B, Rooney JF, Aberg JA. A Pilot Study to Determine the Effect on Dyslipidemia of Adding Tenofovir to Stable Background Antiretroviral Therapy: ACTG 5206. AIDS 2010; 24: 1777-1785.
- Dube MP, Shen C, Mather KJ, Waltz J, Greenwald M; Gupta SK. Relationship of body composition, metabolic status, antiretroviral use, and HIV disease factors to endothelial dysfunction in HIV-infected subjects. AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses 2010; 26(8): 847-854.
- Cramer YS, Rosenkranz SL, Hall SD, Szczech LA, Amorosa V, Gupta SK. Hemodialysis does not significantly affect the pharmacokinetics of nevirapine in HIV-1 infected persons requiring hemodialysis: Results from ACTG A5177. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 2010; 54(4): e7-e9.
- . Selke H, Norris S, Osterholzer D, Fife KH, DeRose B, Gupta SK. Bariatric surgery outcomes in HIV-infected subjects: A case series. AIDS Pt Care STD 2010; 24(9): 545-550.
- Juluri R, Gupta S, Vuppalanchi R. Serum concentration-dependent hepatotoxicity in individuals receiving oral salsalate. Dig Dis Sci 2009; 54:1375-1376.
- Gupta SK, Smurzynski M, Franceschini N, Bosch RJ, Szczech LA, Kalayjian RC. The Effects of HIV-1 Viral Suppression and Non-Viral Factors on Quantitative Proteinuria in the HAART Era. Antivir Ther 2009; 14: 543-549.
- Gupta SK, Komarow L, Gulick RM, Pollard RB, Robbins GK, Franceschini N, Szczech LA, Koletar SL, Kalayjian RC. Proteinuria, Creatinine Clearance, and Immune Activation in Antiretroviral-Naive HIV-Infected Subjects. J Infect Dis 2009; 200: 614-618.
- Gupta SK, Johnson RM, Mather KJ, Clauss M, Rehman J, Saha C, Desta Z, Dube MP. Anti-Inflammatory Treatment with Pentoxifylline Improves HIV-Related Endothelial Dysfunction: A Pilot Study. AIDS 2010; 24(9): 1377-1380.
- Gupta SK. Tenofovir-associated Fanconi syndrome: Review of the FDA Adverse Event Reporting System. AIDS Patient Care STDS 2008; 22(2):99-103.
- Kalayjian RC, Franceschini N, Gupta SK, Szczech LA, Mupere E, Bosch RJ, Smurzynski M, Albert JM. Suppression of HIV-1 Replication by Antiretroviral Therapy Improves Renal Function in Persons with Low CD4 Cells and Chronic Kidney Disease. AIDS 2008; 22:481-487.
- Gupta, SK, Johnson RM, Saha C, Mather KJ, Greenwald ML, Waltz JS, Rehman J, Dube MP. Improvement in HIV-Related Endothelial Dysfunction Using the Anti-Inflammatory Agent Salsalate: A Pilot Study. AIDS 2008; 22:653-655.
- Gupta SK, Rosenkranz SL, Cramer YS, Koletar SL, Szczech LA, Amorosa V, Hall SD. The Pharmacokinetics and Pharmacogenomics of Efavirenz and Lopinavir/Ritonavir in HIV-Infected Persons Requiring Hemodialysis. AIDS 2008; 22:1919-1927.
- Gupta SK. Tenofovir-related nephrotoxicity - Who's at risk? (editorial). The AIDS Reader 2007, in press.
- Gupta SK, Mather KJ, Agarwal R, Saha CK, Considine RV, Dube MP. Proteinuria and Endothelial Dysfunction in Stable HIV-Infected Patients: A Pilot Study. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 2007; 45:596-598.
- Wools-Kaloustian K, Gupta SK, Muloma E, Owino-Ong'or W, Sidle J, Aubrey RW, Shen J, Kipruto K, Zwickl BE, Goldman M. Renal disease in an antiretroviral-naive HIV-infected outpatient population in Western Kenya. Nephrol Dial Transplant 2007; 22:2208-2212.
- Robert Kalayjian, Nora Franceschini, Samir Gupta, Lynda Szczech, Ezekiel Mupere, Marlene Smurzynski, Jeffrey Albert, and the Adult AIDS Clinical Trials Group Longitudinal Linked Randomized Study (ALLRT). The Association Between Suppression of HIV-1 Replication and Glomerular Filtration Rates (GFR) among Subjects on ACTG A5001 (ALLRT). 14th Conference on Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infections, Los Angeles, Feb 2007.
- Samir Gupta, Susan Rosenkranz, Yoninah Segal, Susan Koletar, Michael Basar, Lynda Szczech, Valerianna Amorosa, and Stephen Hall. The Steady-State Pharmacokinetics (PK) of Efavirenz (EFV) and Lopinavir/Ritonavir (LPV/RTV) in HIV-Infected Persons Requiring Hemodialysis: AIDS Clinical Trials Group Study A5177 (Abstract). 13th Conference on Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infections, Denver, Feb 2006.
- Nora Franceschini, Robert Kalayjian, Marlene Smurzynski, Lynda Szczech, and Samir Gupta. Clinical predictors of decreased renal function among HIV-infected patients participating in the Adult AIDS Clinical Trials Group Longitudinal Linked Randomized Trials (ALLRT) study (Abstract). American Society of Nephrology Renal Week, Philadelphia, PA, 2005.
- Muloma E., Owino-Ong'or W., Sidle J., Gupta S., Aubrey R., Kipruto K., Goldman M., Wools-Kaloustian K. Renal Disease in an antiretroviral naive HIV-infected population in western Kenya (Abstract). 3rd IAS Conference on HIV Pathogenesis and Treatment, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, 2005.
- Gupta SK. Proteinuria and elevated creatinine: Beyond the kidneys (commentary). Contagion 2005; 2(4):170-172
- Gupta SK, Parker RA, Robbins GK, Dube MP, for the Adult AIDS Clinical Trials Group 384 and 5005s protocol teams. The effects of HAART on albuminuria in HIV-infected persons: results from a randomized trial. Nephrol Dial Transplant, 2005; 20:2237-2242.
- Janowicz DM, Johnson RM, Gupta SK. Successful treatment of CMV ventriculitis immune reconstitution syndrome. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 2005; 76:891-892
- Gupta SK, Eustace JA, Winston JA, Boydstun II, Ahuja TS, Rodriguez RA, Tashima KT, Roland M, Franceschini N, Palella FJ, Lennox JL, Klotman PE, Nachman SA, Hall SD, Szczech LA. Guidelines for the management of chronic kidney disease in HIV-infected patients: Recommendations of the HIV medical association of the Infectious Diseases Society of America, Clin Infect Dis 2005; 40:1559-1585.
- Gupta SK. Proteinuria and elevated creatinine: Beyond the kidneys (commentary). Contagion 2005; 2(4):170-172.
- Morrison AR, Gupta SK. Legionella pneumonia: assessing the latest diagnostic methods. J Respir Dis 2004; 25(10):404-418
- Szczech LA, Gupta SK, Habash R, Guasch A, Kalayjian R, Appel R, Fields, TA, Svetkey LP, Flanagan KH, Klotman PE, Winston JA. The clinical epidemiology and course of the spectrum of renal diseases associated with HIV-infection. Kidney Int 2004; 66:1145-1152
- Gupta SK, Mamlin BW, Johnson C-S, Dollins MD, Topf JM, Dube MP. Prevalence of proteinuria and the development of chronic kidney disease in HIV-infected patients. Clin Nephrol 2004; 61(1):1-6.
- Ronald Reisler, Lisa Jacobson, Samir Gupta, Wei Qiao, Joseph Margolick, Sharon Riddler, Barbara Visscher, Carolyn Williams, and Frank Palella. Chronic Kidney Disease and the Use of HAART (Abstract). 12th Conference on Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infections, Boston, Feb 2004
- Szczech L, Winston J, Rodriguez R, Gupta S, Coladonato J, and Kalayjian R. The clinical characteristics and antiretroviral dosing patterns of HIV-infected patients receiving dialysis. Kidney Int 2003;63:2295-2301.